Corporate & Business Law
Connell Foley’s Corporate and Business Law practice group prides itself on providing practical business solutions for entities large and small, established and emerging, across a wide range of industries. While we handle complex transactions for some of the largest corporations in the world, we also assist entrepreneurs and start-ups by serving as outside general counsel and by augmenting in-house capabilities with seasoned lawyers who understand their businesses.
Our lawyers combine a tight focus on the client’s business interests with extensive legal expertise to provide clear, action-oriented legal advice for virtually all corporate legal challenges, including:
- Business formation and counseling
- Negotiating, drafting, and reviewing contracts
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate governance
- Succession planning
Your corporate specific needs in your business are different from any other business, and you need attorneys whose vast experience can be tapped for applicable relevant solutions.
At Connell Foley, we take the time to understand your business, align ourselves with your business strategy, and are diligent in our efforts to meet your individual objectives. We believe that all clients, no matter how big or small, including entrepreneurs and start-ups to publicly owned larger corporate clients, deserve the highest quality, integrated legal representation, and effective legal guidance at a reasonable cost.
Our business law attorneys are skilled in counseling businesses at all stages of their lifecycles. We provide full-spectrum corporate law expertise and business guidance from offering practical business formation ideas to day-to-day operation and advice, negotiating expansion via mergers or acquisitions, and succession planning. From beginning to end, we strive to deliver reliable, skillful legal representation for the life of your business.
Our goal is to help anticipate and manage legal issues that could impact your business, so you can focus on your business and on what you do best. We work closely with you to achieve the best legal outcomes, facilitate productive conflict resolution, meet business goals, and overcome the legal challenges that every business faces. Our legal, financial analysis, and business experience helps you enhance your competitive advantage in your market.
Our team brings first-hand experience in the business world to the practice of business law. We possess a thorough understanding of the corporate and business law requirements facing our clients, yet strive to offer practical advice. We simplify the law without legal-ease, using words you can understand that won't overwhelm or confuse you, and we cover your legal matters with precision and thoroughness rarely found in the legal community.
We enjoy a reputation for being skilled business law counselors who can collaborate effectively with our clients' team of financial and other specialized advisors. Our skills are an excellent match for companies looking to outsource in-house counsel.
When it's needed, our accomplished trial lawyers litigate cases at all levels of federal and state court, as well as in every major arbitral forum.
We seek to maximize your opportunity for success and growth. Above all, we endeavor to become our clients' trusted advisor; this is our commitment.
Attention to detail, breadth of knowledge, and ability to collaborate effectively with financial and other specialized advisors make Connell Foley an important strategic partner for businesses.
Broad Range of Clients
Our attorneys represent a broad range of companies, from start-ups, large publicly-traded corporations, and closely held family businesses to governmental entities and individuals in all phases of business formation and operation within an array of industries.
|Professionals, including Architects and Engineers, Attorneys, Accountants, and Physicians||Automotive and Transportation||Food Service|
|Environmental||Financial and Brokerage||Insurance|
|Banks and Financial Services Firms||Media||Medical practitioners and healthcare facilities|
|Manufacturing||Pharmaceuticals||Public and Private Universities|
|Nonprofit Organizations and Family Foundations||Retail and Wholesale Distributors and Suppliers||Utilities and alternative energy|
Setting Up Your Business and Building a Foundation
Important business decisions are also major life decisions. This is never more applicable than during the business formation stage. Setting up a business can be straightforward or quite complex and finding competent, knowledgeable business lawyers who can provide no-nonsense advice about options helps ensure a business is on sound footing from the outset of a venture.
Connell Foley attorneys understand the pressures and challenges facing legal departments and entrepreneurs involving corporate formation. Our attorneys work to identify the appropriate business structure for an new enterprise addressing the full range of corporate formation concerns, including taxation, limited liability, ownership, management, and control. We recognize that every dollar counts and provide counsel to implement cost-effective approaches for avoiding and managing high-risk business disputes. By consulting with our lawyers at the very outset of their operation, our attorneys are able to assist with putting in place appropriate risk management procedures so as to guard against potential future liabilities that, left unmanaged, can jeopardize business viability.
We also assist all types of businesses in drafting, reviewing and revising and contracts with the goal of seeking to avoid future conflicts and allowing for smooth business operation. Our lawyers provide counsel to help guard against internal and external threats, assist with the development of comprehensive plans of action, and are adept at foreseeing risks in contracts and drafting ways to lessen contract risk. Our team of lawyers have decades-long corporate experience allowing clients to operate with the confidence of knowing that this key component of corporate law is handled with the skill needed to craft clear, thorough agreements.
Solutions to Your Business Law Problems
Connell Foley attorneys strive to add value to the organization by providing the expertise and customized problem-solving needed when facing legal challenges. Connell Foley’s Corporate and Business Law practice group provides more than mere legal advice – they serve as valued partners who endeavor to go beyond the ordinary by providing timely counsel and pro-active thinking. We leverage our formidable experience and skill into advantages that are greater than any one assignment or result.
Business Succession Planning Needs
For most closely-held businesses, a proactive approach is critical to ensure that future generations enjoy continued success and growth of the enterprise. Our full-service approach helps business owners facilitate smooth and efficient transitions by collaborating with all parties involved in the succession process. We have earned a national reputation as financial architects in wealth and estate planning and in probate issues of business succession, and for identifying effective wealth preservation and transfer mechanisms.
Banking and Financial Lawyers
You’ll find proven talent by virtue in thousands of transactions closed by the Connell Foley team, which helps to ensure your own business transaction goes smoothly, whether it’s a simple of complex acquisition, merger, divestiture, or general corporate counseling.
Our experienced bankruptcy and creditor’s rights attorneys represent secured and unsecured creditors, bankruptcy trustees, creditor’s committees, and business debtors. We provide analysis and assessment of financial conditions, and business audits.
We are skilled in structuring, negotiating, and closing single lender and syndicated loan transactions for commercial and real estate credit facilities. Our banking lawyers effectively navigate bank regulatory issues.
Representative Matters and Transactions
The attorneys in our Corporate and Business Law Practice Group have represented:
- The owner of a large automobile dealership in its sale to General Motors Corporation
- The purchaser in a leveraged buy-out of a major consumer products division of a Fortune 100 corporation
- A Fortune 500 client’s acquisition of a resins operation from a large chemical company
- A buyer in acquisition of stock of seller (and related real estate development) engaged in business of bus repair and maintenance, Jersey City, New Jersey
- A lender in connection with credit facility to America’s largest flag maker
- An individual shareholder in sale of stock (and partnership interests in real estate affiliate) of family-owned closely held business
- A privately owned multi-national company as Special Counsel in connection with One Billion Dollar Note Offering
- A physician group in connection with the formation, licensing, construction, and operation of state of the art ambulatory surgical center
- A tax exempt higher education borrower in connection with $74,100,000 tax exempt bond issuance through the New Jersey Educational Facilities Authority
- A seller in connection with the sale of assets of a lumber yard to a regional lumber company
- A seller in connection with the sale of assets of a specialty contracting company
- A buyer in connection with the purchase of 6.5-acre undeveloped Palisades Park, New Jersey parcel out of Bankruptcy Court Exempt Bonds
- A privately-held company in connection with a corporate and financial restructuring and initial public offering
- A major New Jersey racetrack in connection with both an acquisition and subsequent sale
- A major corporation in connection with its issuance of $66 million in certificates of participation for the construction of its New Jersey headquarters
- A major privately owned real estate developer in connection with a merger into a publicly traded real estate investment trust
- An air cargo facility at Newark Liberty International Airport in connection with its tax-exempt bond financing
- The purchaser of a major recycling facility in West Virginia
- A publicly-held retail food franchisor in connection with its tax-exempt bond financing
- A rail station property owner in connection with the construction of office towers, hotels, and retail space totaling approximately 3.7 million square feet
- The New Jersey Casino Reinvestment Development Authority in connection with a mixed-use rehabilitation and development project
- The Audit Committee of a public company with respect to minority shareholder protection and compliance
Meet our Attorneys
- Cosma, Thomas S.
- Cromie, John D.
- Deveau, William D.
- Dory, Nicole B.
- Hughes, Patrick J.
- Humphreys, Noel D.
- Iuso, Angela A.
- Kunzman, Kenneth F.
- Lazzara, Alexis E.
- McAuley, Patrick J.
- McCann, W. Nevins
- McGovern Jr., Philip F.
- Murphy, Joseph
- Murray, John B.
- Perez, Rafael
- Podvey, Robert L.
- Scheinbaum, Robert K.
- Schiller, Francis E.
- Scuderi, Thomas M.
- Steller, Brian G.