Commitment to Diversity
As a leader in the field of legal services, Connell Foley promotes diversity as an opportunity to enrich our workplace and better serve our clients. We believe that to ensure ongoing success, we must continue to work hard to create an inclusive environment that respects and values differences, varied perspectives and ideas, work experiences, lifestyles, and cultures. For us, diversity is about creating a dynamic culture where everyone is engaged in making positive contributions and in developing their skills, and where superior results are achieved by drawing upon the broadest possible pool of knowledge, skills, and talent. As with every aspect of our legal work and client service, the Connell Foley team takes pride in our diversity accomplishments.
To advance our commitment to diversity throughout the firm, we:
- Continue to grow the level of diversity within the firm’s leadership positions, firm committees, and practice development efforts
- Increase participation in opportunities outside the firm to explore diversity initiatives with bar associations and minority organizations
- Expand internal efforts to grow awareness of diversity through enhancing mentorship opportunities and educational seminars
- Demonstrate sustained commitment to improve the hiring, retention, and promotion of a diverse workforce, and continually assess firm diversity initiatives and statistics
Our firm’s dedication to diversity is reflected in our commitment of time, budget, and resources, guided by the Diversity Committee, which has existed at the firm for years. Chaired by Angela Iuso, the Diversity Committee reports to the firm’s Executive Committee and works with the Hiring and Marketing Committees to not only develop policy and address personnel issues but also to promote the recruitment, hiring, retention, and advancement of a talented and diverse workforce to all levels of the firm. The firm’s ongoing commitment to diversity is readily apparent from the growing number of diverse associates promoted to partner.
Recruitment, Training & Mentoring
Connell Foley’s recruitment programs expand hiring criteria beyond traditional law school indices. We take into account additional qualities such as superior character and capacity for growth with our firm as indicators of ability to succeed. These programs include visits to a broad variety of schools with diverse student bodies by way of job fairs and on-campus recruiting. For many years, we have actively taken steps to expand the number of women and minorities in summer programs and in new attorney hires.
To retain the extraordinary talent we attract, all of our new hires receive training, mentoring, and access to the resources and encouragement they need for development. We fully support our team’s pursuit of additional internal and external educational opportunities for professional development. The success of our approach can be measured by the tenure at the firm of our lawyers and staff, many of whom have been with us for decades.
Connell Foley’s female attorneys are recognized by their steadfast character. They lead many practice groups and litigation teams and are recognized regionally and nationally as highly skilled professionals. They have attained leadership positions on all levels of firm management, including playing significant roles on the firm's Executive Committee.
Connell Foley’s commitment to diversity includes cultivating vast networks and active involvement in legal, business, and community organizations that promote diversity while connecting people who have common interests and backgrounds. Our attorneys work with various organizations on local, regional, and national levels to promote racial and ethnic diversity in the legal profession. Legal and other professional organizations that our firm supports include:
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Executive Women of New Jersey
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association, Committee on Women in the Law
- South Asian Bar Association of New Jersey
- South Asian Bar Association of New York
- Statewide Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of New Jersey
- The Hispanic Lawyers Forum
- USLAW Women’s Collection Group
Recognition of Our Women and Minority Lawyers
Connell Foley’s promotion of women and minority lawyers has drawn substantial recognition through achievements in litigation and transactional matters, awards from associations and businesses, attainment of governmental, judicial, and leadership positions, notable publications and presentations, and other accolades within our community.